1937

The 1937 Exposition internationale des Arts et Techniques (‘International Exposition of Arts and Technology’) provides an opportunity for Paris to create two museums – one owned by the City of Paris, the other by the French state. The project for this dual purpose building is entrusted to architects Jean-Claude Dondel, André Aubert, Paul Viard and Marcel Dastugue.

1940

To prevent the Palais de Tokyo being requisitioned by the German authorities, the Prefect of the Seine makes the building available to the artists’ mutual organisation (l’Entraide des Artistes) for the organisation of Salons.

1946

De 1946 à 1969, le musée héberge le Salon de Mai et le Salon des réalités nouvelles.

1953

Dr Maurice Girardin’s bequest to the City of Paris is a determining factor for the Parisian authorities to leave the confines of the now too small Petit Palais and to open a dedicated venue in the Palais de Tokyo.

1954

From 1954 to 1969, the building hosts the Salon de la Jeune Peinture, then again from 1972 to 1975.

1959

In 1959, André Malraux inaugurates the first Paris Biennale. It is held at the Musée d'Art Moderne until 1982 (apart from 1971).

1961

In 1959, André Malraux inaugurates the first Paris Biennale. It is held at the Musée d'Art Moderne until 1982 (apart from 1971).

1961

6 July 1961, after an official opening the day before, the “new rooms at the Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris” are opened to the public.

1964

4 June, La Fée Électricité created by Raoul Dufy for the Pavillon de l’Électricité et de la Lumière at the 1937 Exposition is installed in the former “Salle d’honneur”.

1966

1966 sees the creation of the ARC section (Animation, Recherche, Confrontation), the brainchild of Piotr Gaudibert, (then curator of the City of Paris Museums), François Debidour (deputy head of the École des Beaux-Arts) and Bernadette Contensou.

1976

Refurbishment work is undertaken: Henri Matisse’s La Danse is moved to the former darkroom; the ARC section moves to the first floor. The Musée national d’Art Moderne moves from the West Wing of the Palais de Tokyo to the Centre Georges Pompidou.

1988

Suzanne Pagé becomes Director of the Musée d'Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris.

1993

The acquisition in 1993 of the recently found, unfinished version of La Danse by Matisse leads to refurbishment of the Salle Matisse by architect Jean-François Bodin.

1999

The exhibition "Le Fauvisme ou l’épreuve du feu" (‘Fauvism, or Ordeal by Fire’) attracts more than 400,000 visitors.

2000

Reopening and re-hanging of the permanent collections.

2001

Paris Mayor Bertrand Delanoë announces that entrance to the permanent collections of the Museum will be free of charge.

2007

Fabrice Hergott succeeds Suzanne Pagé as Director of the Musée d’Art Moderne de la Ville de Paris.

2008

Re-hanging of the collections.

2009

A fresh view of several great artists of the late 20th century and of recent contemporary creation, focusing on new acquisitions. Launch of the Museum’s Facebook page.

2010

Five paintings are stolen from the Museum’s collection. The paintings taken are Le pigeon aux petits pois (The Pigeon with the Peas) by Picasso, La Pastorale by Matisse, L'Olivier Près de l'Estaque (Olive Tree near l'Estaque) by Braque, La Femme à l'Éventail (Woman with a Fan) by Modigliani and Nature Morte aux Chandeliers (Still Life with Chandeliers) by Léger The “Basquiat” exhibition attracts over 350,000 visitors.

2011

Launch of the Museum’s Twitter account.

2012

German art dealer and collector Michael Werner makes an exceptional donation to the Museum of 127 works from his personal collection.

2013

The exhibition "Keith Haring, the political line" attracts more than 350,000 visitors.

2014

Composition, 1911 by Otto Freundlich (1978-1943), recognized as a major artwork in the cultural heritage, enters the Museum’s collections as a result of sponsorship. This early abstract painting, realised in Paris in 1911, is a milestone in the history of art; it was contemporary with the work of such founding fathers of abstraction as Kandinsky, Kupka and Delaunay. The Museum’s collections are put online. The Museum website gives unlimited, free access to more than 10,000 works.

2015

The Museum Facebook page reaches over 200,000 likes (September) and has more than 80,000 followers on Twitter (November).